Human trafficking is considered modern day slavery. It is when someone is being coerced, manipulated, or forced to engage in activities they do not wish to do. Human trafficking includes labor trafficking and sex trafficking.
Traffickers use force, drugs, emotional tactics, sexual assault, gang rape, and financial methods to maintain control of their victims. They have an especially easy time establishing a strong bond with runaways and young girls. (fbi.gov)
Human trafficking is the second largest underground crime. It makes more then Google, Nike, and Target combined. Right now Michigan is the second state in the nation for human trafficking. There is much work to be done just in our surrounding communities.
Do you know what human trafficking looks like?
Here's what to look for in adults:
- Evidence of being controlled
- Evidence of inability to move or leave a job
- Not speaking on her.his own behalf and/or unable to speak any of the primary language of the country residing in.
- Engages in prostitution or living in a brothel
- Sexually exploited in strip clubs, massage parlors or pornography.
- Not in control of her/his own identification or travel documents.
What to look for in Youth/Minors:
- A homeless youth and /or lying about her/his age.
- A minor "dating" an older man
- Having hotel room keys in her/his possession, or excessive money or jewelry.
- Signs of physical abuse, and/or fear or depression.
- Branding or tattooing of trafficker's name or "daddy"
If you think you see any signs of trafficking, please do not hesitate to call the hotline number at: